On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Noven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:19:33 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

>> > In your /etc dir, link rc{0-6}.d and rcS.d to /etc/init.d .
>> >
>> > Also ensure vmware-modules is *not* installed before running the
>> > installer bundle.
>> >
>> > Can't remember if I did anythig else tricky, but its workig beautifully
>> > here.
>> >
>> > - Noven
>>
>> Okay, now it installs okay, and I can modprobe vmmon.
>>
>> However, "vmware" gives me:
>>

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ vmware
>> /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-modconfig: symbol lookup error:
>> /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libview.so.2/libview.so.2: undefined symbol:
>> _ZThn8_N3Gtk4HBoxD1Ev
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $
>>
>> And I have absolutely no clue what that's about.
>>
>> ++ kevin
>
> Did you re-run vmware-config.pl? That will recompile modules for your
> system.You have unmerged vmware-modules before doing this?

Now that I've unmerged everything, where would that be?
Self-installed software can be so wierd.

> On mine, K08vmware and S19vmware are links to /etc/init.d/vmware.

Here, they are links to ../vmware, which is /etc/vmware, and contains
a bunch of things.

> I recall I pinched the vmware init script out of
> portage -
> /usr/portage/app-emulation/vmware-workstation/files/vmware-workstation.rc
>
> move it to /etc/init.d, rename it vmware and make it executable. start as
> normal.

It's not quite working.  I tried a restart, and it failed on link 84 which is:
     /etc/vmware/init.d/vmware stop | vmware_prettify stop
but there's no such file: as /etc/vmware/init.d/vmware.   There are
rc?.d entries there.
These contain symlinks which are broken, pointing to the same non-existent file.
Sigh.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD