On 11/20/08, Nikos Chantziaras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As it happens, upgrading to kernel 2.6.27 was not the only change; I
> switched from xf86-video-radeonhd to the proprietary ATI Catalyst drivers.
>  Didn't think that this has anything to do with it though.

I have a hunch that this is the problem. Have you tried 2.6.27 without the
proprietary ATI drivers? This is the first thing I would suspect because ATI
drivers are not reputed --- or so I believe --- for being the best quality
software out there. Either way, we need to eliminate as many factors as
possible and one of these factors is your ATI driver change. I don't know
much about Prime95, but if it won't simulate a subtlety in your video
drivers, especially how proprietary ATI drivers will play with kernel
2.6.27.