On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 23:15:31 +0900
"Mike Mazur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > If you right-click in a text-entry field, is "Check spelling"
> > enabled?
>
> This was it.
>
> When I right clicked in a text area, I didn't see the "Check spelling"
> option, but I did see "Add dictionaries..." which brought me to the
> addons.mozilla.com Dictionary & Language Packs site[1]. I installed
> the US English pack and now spell checking works as expected.
>
> I had no clue I had to install the language pack myself. Isn't that
> portage's job?

If your language is en-US only, the ebuild isn't supposed to try to get
an xpi language pack, but that's only because en-US spellchecking
support comes with the main source tarball the ebuild gets.

AFAICT, the ebuild is designed to get the generic en-US Firefox source
then get xpis for any additional languages, so everybody gets an
en-US Firefox to start with.  The en-US language pack at a.m.o should
only be needed by people (non-Gentooers) who've installed a localized
build of Firefox and later want to add en-US support.

I can't tell what's going wrong with that plan, but there's definitely
something  screwy with Fx 3.0.4 and the spellchecking.  I've tried
looking at the ebuild, but I can't explain the behavior you're seeing.
(Or what I'm seeing -- en-AU got pulled in and was set as my default
dictionary somehow.)

--
»Q«
     Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.