On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 12:35 +0000, Stroller wrote:
> On 24 Nov 2008, at 11:07, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> > If you have further questions, feel free to ask.
>
> I would love a file system that transparently replicates over several
> systems - say 2 - 5.
>
> It doesn't need to amalgamate spare in any way (as BillK requests),
> let's just say I just have a couple of gig on each machine that I want
> replicated.
>
> I should be able to read & operate on the files on the "partition"
> just as normal, but when a file is saved to or deleted from any one
> machine the change should be replicated on all the others across the
> (slow) network.
>
> Basically, the idea is that I should be able to set machines A, B & C
> as MX for my domain and be able to read a new message whichever
> machine receives it. I should be able to run all 3 machines as IMAP
> servers and connect to any one of them to see the same view of my
> messages. When the IMAP server deletes or moves a message (on, say, A)
> that transaction should be replicated across B & C. (But likewise if
> the message is moved or deleted on B then the transaction should be
> replicated across A & C).
>
> I suspect I would be optimistic if I hoped for something so
> sophisticated to be readily available, as I am aware that this would
> be problematic to implement. But do you have any suggestions?
>
> Stroller.

I set up an openmosix cluster once using dfs I think.  It replicated
data just like you want so each exported thread was seeing consistent
file space.  It did work, but had a few issues ... I think it was
designed by MS being one :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_File_System_(Microsoft)

BillK