On 27 Nov 2008, at 16:37, Joshua Murphy wrote:
I think the last anecdote I read on this subject was written by Trubox (Truebox?) on the Openmoko-community list a month or two ago. They sell Aserisk systems to small business (in my area, as it happens) and I would imagine that typically the system sits in the corner of an office and is untouched for years at a time. I would imagine that have plenty of installed systems throughout the UK (otherwise they'd be going hungry). They report a very low failure rate, as did someone else on the MythTV-users list who also
bases a commercial offering on flash-based hardware.

The catch, though, is that I'd guess commercial offerings of MythTV
boxes like that would be updated infrequently and that the actual
recording storage, and likely logs and other frequent write files, is
done on a normal disk.

The "commercial offering" that I recall mentioned on the MythTV-users list wasn't MythTV-related. The discussion of flash memory arose and a poster mentioned his experiences using flash memory in his day job - I think the employer did something like till systems, and I have this idea that the poster said the flash cards were put under a reasonable workload.

Stroller.