A few years back I installed gentoo and everything worked fine, except that the OS bootup messages were too "big", and scrolled by too fast.

Somewhere I found a tweak (IIRC, it involved recompiling the kernel) that handled it fine - i.e. the font was reduced dramatically after the bios was booted, right at the beginning of the OS booting.

Today I replaced my monitor with an HDTV monitor which works fine during the bios boot; works fine after X is booted; but is "shakey" and unreliable during the OS boot.

I have worked around these symptoms by adding vga=ask to lilo.conf, and then telling it to use vga.

Questions:

1. Anyone aware of a wiki or other gentoo "help" that describes how to change the boot message "size" during boot? It is possible that I simply added a framebuffer, but it seems that I changed some config. somewhere as well.

2. Anyone have a workaround for using a new HDTV monitor with an older ATI graphics card?

TIA