On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Mike Edenfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mick wrote:
>
>> Now I am getting confused - at least one box of mine does not have
>> /etc/env.d/02locale at all.  Am I supposed to create it manually?
>
> The file isn't automatically created by anything, since strictly speaking
> you can get away without using it.  However, if you are going to add the
> locale information to your environment, that file name in the env.d
> directory is considered the correct way to do it.
>
> Without it, your locale is probably falling back to C or POSIX, the
> defaults, which for the most part behave just like en_US anyway.  It
> certainly wouldn't hurt for you to explicitly set your locale and language
> options.

It turned out that the 64-bit machine I was working on yesterday - my
oldest Gentoo machine at home - didn't have much info in
/etc/locale.gen. However two other 32-bit machines I'm updating today
had some information that would have helped me a bit if I had had it.
I attach it here for reference.

What I get out of this is that everything having to do with glibc
locales is located under /usr/share/i18n. The stuff located under
/usr/share/locale is something else. Also, emerge glibc will update
locales but once this is all set up correctly locale-gen will do the
same thing.

Cheers,
Mark

Sector9 ~ # cat /etc/locale.gen
# /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your system
#
# The format of each line:
# <locale> <charmap>
#
# Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
# where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
#
# All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.
#
# For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
# /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
#
# Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be automatically
# rebuilt for you.  After updating this file, you can simply run `locale-gen`
# yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.

en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
Sector9 ~ #