Miguel Ramos <2008 <at> miguel.ramos.name> writes:

> I'm new to these lists.
> I have just come up with an ebuild for the most recent ATI driver for
> FirePro/FireGL chips.
> Previous ebuilds didn't work due to problems compiling fgl_glxgears;
> so this one is better because it solves these issues and because the
> driver is more recent.

> Whom should I give/send/show it to, so it becomes available for everyone?
> There isn't a gentoo-ati mailing list.

Wow!

I have a:
ATI Technologies Inc RD580 [CrossFire Xpress 3200] Chipset Host Bridge
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc R580 [Radeon X1900 XT]

I looked at bugs.gentoo.org and could not find it. The bug
number would be greatly appreciated?

Since upgrading to ati-8.552-r2

When playing bzflag, sporadically I get what looks like a loss
of sync, then it pops back ok after a long second or 2......

Reading the link posted by another user (KH):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ebuild-submit.xml

I see this prose (very exciting) on page 5/6:

"ATI Stream Computing Support"

It seems that with ATI Catalyst 8.12, we commoners can
finally access and program so that the GPU is another
available processor for us to  access and use.

Anyone with information, particularly relate to 'howto'
use an ATI GPU under gentoo, would be of keen interest
to me. I'm wondering if the aforementioned (experimental)
ebuild would address basic access to the GPU?

James