On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 7:45 PM, smallnow <small...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Get the best of both worlds with raid 5.
> Personally, I do raid 0 and I agree with you on raid redundancy not being
> very useful. Backup ftw. I cycle out my hard drives every year or two and
> make the old ones be backups, I've only ever had the backups die.
>
> - Ian

Hmm.  I grew up with very expensive hard drives, and never thought of this.
Time to rethink.

My first Unix hard drive replacement was a 20MB drive replacing 10MB and
it cost $600 (1985 dollars) plus the old drive.  Circa 1985.  You didn't do that
too often on a home system.  Now that I'm seeing 1,000,000 MB eSATAs for
under $100 this is starting to make sense.

Thanks for the idea.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD