Mark Kirkwood <mar...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> LOL - Joerg was just making a point that GNU variant of cp is a little
> different from the 'standard' UNIX (hmm  - is there really such a
> thing?) version of cp. Err, on this list the point is a little oblique
> to say the least - since all Linux userland is GNU.

Which is a problem as the GNU tools do not support Linux specific features.
For this reason, GNU cp cannot copy all file metadata on Linux....

It seems that people don't like me because I do write portable software that
supports Linux specific features and that allow to do better than software
that is unaware of platform specific features.

> P.s : As a Freebsd desktop user myself, I can get what Joerg is saying,
> but for the majority of purely Linux users on this list, the point is
> probably lost.

If you are on Solaris, things are even more obscure as people sometimes
incorrectly set up their PATH and by accident call the GNU tools that
do not support Solaris specific features.

I thought that people should be interested in learning that it is bad to
give advise based on generic third party tools without telling that
the tool is neither a local tool nor the generic UNIX tool. Gcp is
a third party tool on Linux and there is no generic Linux cp ;-)

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)