On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volker.armin.hemm...@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
> almost all linux mailing lists - and almost all technical mailing lists have a
> no-html rule. If you decide that fance formating is more important than
> readership, you are on your own.

Hey I don't need that tone. As I said if I knew the informal rule I'd
follow it, no issue. It's just that many mail readers make it
transparent to the user whether mail is being read or written in
plaintext or html, although of course there are obvious and easy to
click options to do both.

> Also every month is a lenghty thread where people tell someone to stop using
> html. You must have skipped that threads.

Like I said, I usually just use the list to ask a question or two
every once in a while. In-material prefiltered content is probably the
wrong place to put advice like that, because by then it's already too
late and many people just skim through content till they see something
interesting anyway. It's like getting a message about not using an all
lowercase password hidden in your system logs. Yes, technically you're
supposed to read your logs every once in a while, but most people
filter their use of such logs only for specific problems and would
transparently miss it.