On 22 Dec 2008, at 11:33, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
The problem was that the dvdnav USE-flag was masked and you unmasked
the mplayer and dvdnav packages in the first place. This did not
affect the mplayer package that was built without dvdnav support as
the flag was still deactivated. Here [1] is some information from the
maintainer of mplayer.

Yes, although I did understand this already. With apologies to Mr Wong I find your explanation much clearer than his.

I would prefer it if Portage handled this without USE flag masking being necessary. If the required package is masked, or needs some other keyword, then IMO `emerge -p mplayer` should simply give an "unable to fulfil this USE - packages may be masked or keyworded" error. IMO `emerge mplayer` should simply install the package without fulfilling the USE. But clearly there are reasons why this is impractical.

Stroller.