Hi All,

I just upgraded my kernel with make oldconfig and noticed new options for
sound.  Other than taking in excess of 50 seconds looking at the penguin
before the kernel starts booting up I found out upon bootup that alsasound
fails to find the kernel driver for my sound card:
# /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
 *   Could not detect custom ALSA settings.  Loading all detected alsa
drivers.
 *   Unable to find any ALSA drivers. Have you compiled alsa-drivers
correctly?
 *   ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers                         [ ok ]
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
alsactl: unrecognized option `---'
Usage: alsactl <options> command

Available options:
  -h,--help        this help
  -f,--file #      configuration file (default /etc/asound.state
or /etc/asound.names)
  -F,--force       try to restore the matching controls as much as possible
                   (default mode)
  -P,--pedantic    don't restore mismatching controls (old default)
  -d,--debug       debug mode
  -v,--version     print version of this program

Available commands:
  store   <card #> save current driver setup for one or each soundcards
                   to configuration file
  restore <card #> load current driver setup for one or each soundcards
                   from configuration file
  names   <card #> dump information about all the known present (sub-)devices
                   into configuration file (DEPRECATED)
 * Errors while restoring defaults, ignoring                         [ ok ]

Here's my card (lshw):

           *-multimedia UNCLAIMED
                product: ES1988 Allegro-1
                vendor: ESS Technology
                physical id: 9
                bus info: p...@0000:02:09.0
                version: 12
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm cap_list
                configuration: latency=64 maxlatency=24 mingnt=2

Also from lspci:

02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1 (rev 12)
        Subsystem: Compaq Computer Corporation Device 0094
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
        I/O ports at 2400 [size=256]
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

Here's my kernel config:

CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM=y