Mick wrote:
On Saturday 27 December 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
Norberto Bensa wrote:

Why? Does Gentoo forget how to do something? Why can't you just "set and
forget" your Gentoo boxes?
Gentoo is difficult to install.

Well, it's not really difficult - but it takes awfully longer than running a binary distro install.

That's why I do it at home :) For the servers, less work is better (yes, I'm ashamed of this, but not ashamed enough to keep me from doing it ;D)

I guess that's the downside of being versionless. Debian on the other hand, due
to it being versioned, doesn't have that problem.

Hmm ... so then, how would you upgrade from one version of Debian to another? I tried to do something like that with Ubuntu and the darn thing never booted again! Had to wipe the drive clean and reinstall.

On Debian, I simply changed all the string in /etc/apt/sources.list from "etch" to "lenny" and ran "aptitude dist-update". I crossed my fingers. I was relieved to see it just worked. I updated from Etch to Lenny in 10 minutes :P

Another reason I
didn't put Gentoo on the server is because everyone would start spamming
the forums about lag when I emerge -u world while they're getting frags
in Counter-Strike :P
set PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 in /etc/make.conf
I'll just hay "ah, ah, ah" at that one :P  OK, I'll also say that it
doesn't work.  Everything lags even with 19.

Is that measurable?

On my Gentoo at home, yes. The mouse cursor skips, scrolling gets skippy/laggy too. I have a dual core e6...@3.33ghz with 4GB DDR2 RAM.

With all that being said, I prefer Gentoo of course. I've been through Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, Mandriva/Mandrake, CentOS, Fedora and openSUSE on my desktop PC. I finally settled with Gentoo; it's beats all of 'em. But it needs more attention to keep it healthy and clean. So I don't use it for the servers. More free time for me that way :P