Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
Am Samstag, 27. Dezember 2008 20:27:37 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
Harry Putnam wrote:
Summary of request for help:

  Are there hardcore kernel builders in the house who can steer me to
  a faster way of figuring out what the installed modules do... for
  sure.
Well, my bit of wisdom here:  Don't use modules.  Do a "make
menuconfig", disable everything you don't need, and compile everything
you need in-kernel instead of as a module.

I'd say the "disable everything you don't need" part is what Harry's mail is all about.

Well, finding out what every installed module does isn't going to help anyway. I'd start with only the modules currently used after a fresh boot (lsmod). If you compile those in-kernel, it will boot. Everything else can be tweaked later.