Don't shoot.  I ask here because I know some here are debian users.

I just created an vmware app with debian... I thought I was using the
newest install media for latest release (lenny I think).

But once installed (and this was a network install not from disc) I
find really ancient tools.. a 2.6.18 kernel for example.

Running `apt-cache search emacs' shows the newest available version to
be emacs-21... which is barely even supported still.

I must need to edit my sources for package installs or something but
isn't there a way to know right off the bat what version of debian you
have?

But I'm thinking I've got hold of some older version here.