It is defiantly in hotplug, I have the same thing happen on my gentoo box
with dual gigabit net.  There is a way to stop it from starting but I do not
remember off the top of my head and cant't look quick as I am away from that
box atm on vacation.  Should be something on the wiki that will tell you how
to turn it off.

Matt