After updating today (from only a few days ago) I'm getting a
situation that makes it impossible to login.

 unable to determine your tty name

The login prompt is there but after typing in the name and hitting
enter I only get the above comment.

Googling on this I find a gentoo bug (245370) Dec 13 that looks like
it is similar.. but the fix mentioned there... backing up to an earlier
version of ncurses (5.6-r2) did not clear my problem.

It may actually be a different bug since I don't see some of the the
other stuff mentioned in that thread.

I haven't ran revdep-rebuild yet... that was my next move but had to
go to a different part of town where I can't really access that
machine.

Does anyone recognize this problem without further diagnostics?  If
not then I will be back to the problem machine later tonight and
supply more information.  Ideas about what info would be most useful
would be appreciated