Willie Wong <ww...@princeton.edu> writes:

> As to the question of "why that is"... I guess the author got bored?
> The link to the package catmur.co.uk/gentoo/udept is a dead link now
> (404s) I am not even sure if the original author can be reached at the
> e-mail address given by Dirk.

For the record I have written to both e...@catmur.co.uk mentioned in the
dep script and Paul Varner <fuzzy...@gentoo.org> mentioned in
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask

> And besides, I am not sure if the tool is still useful. Worldfile
> pruning can be accomplished with a 5 line bash script (though I
> strongly suggest user intervention rather than automating the
> process), and --depclean has gotten so smart that I don't really think
> udept can out-perform it. For files not maintained by portage, I can
> use findcruft.  Whatever else functionality it includes I have never
> found the use of. I don't think I will miss it too much when it is

I don't doubt all can be done in other ways, but that one tool
combines a lot of functionality... though I'll admit I mostly use it
for checking dependencies and reverse dependencies (q doesn't do
reverse I don't think) and just querying packages like you do with
equery and q.

I'd be tempted to try to bring it up to speed with latest portage but
that level of shell scripting is pretty much well over my head.

I'm afraid I'd cause more trouble by having to bug everybody about how
to do parts of it.  I do wish someone would take it on though.