On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2009 17:04:57 Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>    For the sake of conversation how about emerge flags?
>
>> My server:
>>
>> [ebuild   R   ] net-print/cups-1.3.9-r1  USE="X acl dbus jpeg ldap pam
>> perl png ppds python samba ssl tiff -avahi -gnutls -java -kerberos
>> -php -slp -static -xinetd -zeroconf" LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he
>> -id -it -ja -pl -sv -zh_TW" 0 kB
>>
>> [ebuild   R   ] net-print/hplip-2.8.6b  USE="dbus ppds qt3 qt4
>> -cupsddk -doc -fax -minimal -parport -scanner -snmp" 0 kB
>
> Mine:
>
> [ebuild   R   ] net-print/cups-1.3.9-r1  USE="acl dbus jpeg pam perl png
> python ssl
> tiff -X -avahi -gnutls -java -kerberos -ldap -php -ppds -samba -slp -static
> -xinetd -zeroconf"
> LINGUAS="en -de -es -et -fr -he -id -it -ja -pl -sv -zh_TW"
>
> [ebuild   R   ] net-print/hplip-2.8.6b  USE="cupsddk dbus
> doc -fax -minimal -parport -ppds -qt3 -qt4 -scanner -snmp"
>
> I don't have X set because X is not installed on this server. I may install
> it later. I have cupsddk instead of ppds because hplip's ppds USE flag
> description says it is obsolete and I should use cupsddk instead.

Interesting about the ppds flag. I have ppds in make.comf so I'm going
to get that unless I make a change. Independent of what someone said
is depreciated, what is chosen by default if nothing is specifically
asked for? There have been a number of times in the past where someone
changes a flag and it works for most but not all.

I'll investigate cupsddk here over the next week or two. Thanks.

I don't know what else to suggest. For me this has been pretty much a
non-issue. It just works. There is a setting on the server side,
available through the cups configuration stuff at
http://server_address:631 which tells cups to publish the server.

- Mark