On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:34:43 +0100
Xav' wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:14:01 -0500, David Relson
> <rel...@osagesoftware.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:01:28 +0100
> > Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

> >> Jan 13 21:35:04 osage Pid: 13119, comm: rrdtool Tainted: G      D W
> >> 2.6.28-gentoo #11
> >>
> >> rrdtool?
> >>

> It seems according to your trace that the Python script
> system_health.py does not stop to do segfaults while it is executed
> by cron, so maybe you can start checking this script to see if it
> does not write anywhere in the memory and then cause the kernel to
> "bug".

The LWN article is about RTSJ -- real-time services for java.  Having
done some work with real-time and embedded systems I can understand
that access to physical memory is useful.  However, I'm not running
java and _not_ using RTSJ.

As regards tainting, after a BUG the kernel sets its status to
"tainted".  After all, having encountered a BUG problem, there's no
telling what else may be fubar'd.  That explains one problem.

system_health.py is python code that reads system info and generates
"health" graphs for the computer.  It's presently running under Python
2.6.  Does python even have RTSJ-like capabilities???

Looking further at the log messages (see attached file):

system_health.py - segfaults at 20:50, then runs fine at 20:55, 21:00,
21:05, 21:10, and 21

At 20:59:06 is a stack backtrace.  This is 9 minutes after the
system_health.py segfault and a successful run of system_health.  The
problem seems to be mmap related.  Unfortunately it seems that part of
the oops(?) is missing since the first line has a right paren without a
preceding left paren.

21:20:01 -- another stack backtrace -- different from previous

21:27:58 -- another stack backtrace -- different from all previous ones

21:35:04 -- first mention of BUG ... and tainting

Evidently bad things were happening for a while before the first BUG.

So, back to an earlier question:

To whom should these backtraces be sent -- in hope that they'll shed
light on a previously encountered problem and aid in a fix being
generated ??

Regards,

David