Am Dienstag, den 20.01.2009, 19:37 +0000 schrieb Grant Edwards:
> On 2009-01-20, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:32:02 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
> >
> >> I know it needs 5gb+ of tmpdir space, but compiling it with
> >> 256mb may be futile :)
> >
> > Not if he's got plenty of swap, it'll just run even slower.
> > Expect a new Debian release before OOo finishes building :)
>
> I've got 256MB of RAM plus 1GB of swap space.  I'm sort of
> torturing the poor machine -- in addition to the OOo build, I'm
> emerging some other miscellaneous stuff (sdl-mixer at the
> moment).
>
> With the two emerge jobs running, there is 32MB of swap is
> in-use (unchanged for several minutes).  That's not bad
> considering that the OOo build's cc1plus process RSS climbs up
> to 100+ MB at times.
I once got OOos binaries to be _a_bit_ smaller by manually patching the
ebuild to allow "-Os". But it turned out, that it wasn't worth it,
because the next update I had to recompile the hole thing for hours and
hours again, and what I had won was to little to be worth the hassle.

If "-Os" worked depended on both the OOo version and the GCC version...
and there goes another compile for hours and hours...

Was an interesting experience, but not worth it in the long run.

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887