Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Eric Martin <freak4u...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Paul Hartman wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As the subject line says, powertop constantly tells me my USB devices
>>> (keyboard/mouse) are active 100% of the time and to enable USB
>>> suspend, which I do, but it keeps telling me constantly. How can I
>>> tell if:
>>>
>>> A) USB suspend is actually on or not
>>> B) powertop is doing anything when I press "U"
>>>
>>> I've got USB Suspend/resume support in my kernel, and according to the
>>> kernel docs the usbcore.usbsuspend default delay is 2 (powertop
>>> suggests changing it to 1).
>>>
>>> Powertop's refresh delay is 5 seconds.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Paul
>>>

>> Check for USB_SUSPEND in /proc/config.gz
>
> I do not have a /proc/config.gz but i have this in /boot/config:
>
> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y

Are you sure you're running a kernel with that configured?  Why not
enable kernel .config?  It's [CONFIG_IKCONFIG] General Setup -> Kernel
.config support.  Obviously it adds more to your kernel images but it
makes tracking down problems like this very easy.  I too have a usb
keyboard / mouse and I'm pretty sure powertop doesn't register 100% for
those interfaces...  Heck, unless you're 100% opposed to turning on
kernel .config support (or can't reboot the server), turn it on,
recompile, install, reboot and see if CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is there, and
see what powertop says.

I was trying to chase down a similar problem (disabling kernel options)
when I was getting vmalloc() errors with xfs and I discovered that they
always weren't taking affect.  My guess was I rebooted before cache
could be written to disk.

HTH

--
Eric Martin
Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA  B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F