Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi all,
>    From a thread on another list (pro-audio/music oriented) we're
> thinking about creating our own Live CD. I'd like this at least
> initially to be based on Gentoo. Are there any good, up-to-date
> instructions around about how to do this?
>
>    In Google Books I found something called "Linux Live CDs:Building
> and Customizing Bootables". It had the following link which is dead.
> Did it move somewhere? I cannot find it yet.
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_Scratch
>
>    I found this in the forums. Any idea about how well it might work?
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837
>
>    There's a section talking about Catalyst. The first thing is says
> is that it's not for the casual user. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult
> is something like this? (I suspect that if I have to ask it's too
> difficult.) ;-)
>
>    Also this for general info:
>
> http://www.livecdlist.com/wiki/index.php/LiveCD_Creation_Resources
>
>    Most interesting to me would be something like cloning an already
> up-and-running system. Is that possible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

Cloning a live system is pretty easy. I'm using a live usb boot device
based off of the gentoo-amd64 minimal cd (and I'm adding more as I go).
 The liveUSB howto [1] on docs.gentoo.org is great and will answer most
questions.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
--
Eric Martin
Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA  B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F