At Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:09:32 -0800 Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For some reason, evince won't open PDFs anymore.  I've tried different
> versions of evince, poppler, and shared-mime-info, but evince says:
>
> "File type PDF document (application/pdf) is not supported"
>
> epdfview works, but it segfaults when trying to open shipping labels
> from usps.com.  Does anyone have any ideas on getting evince back to
> normal?  I did try deleting .gnome2/evince.

Have you recently emerged evince/poppler/poppler-bindings ?

To test if perhaps the version on the gentoo servers is currently bad
I just now remerged them and did the suggested revdep-rebuild, which as
expected rebuilt nothing.  Everything worked fine; in particular,
   evince file.pdf
worked.

Perhaps you should remerge them in case one of yours is corrupted.

Here is the beginning of my emerge showing the use flags

  allan gottlieb # emerge evince poppler poppler-bindings

  These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

  Calculating dependencies... done!
  [ebuild   R   ] app-text/evince-2.22.2-r1  USE="dbus doc gnome gnome-keyring
tiff -debug -djvu -dvi -t1lib" 1,592 kB
  [ebuild   R   ]  app-text/poppler-bindings-0.8.7  USE="cairo gtk -qt3 -qt4
-test" 1,436 kB
  [ebuild   R   ]   app-text/poppler-0.8.7  USE="jpeg zlib -cjk" 0 kB

  Total: 3 packages (3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 3,027 kB

  Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

Good luck!

allan