Mike Kazantsev a écrit :
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:11:04 +0100
laurent <laur...@logiquefloue.org> wrote:

Now I see more what ssmtp and msmtp are about so I have some questions.
Is it possible to use an existing smtp port with them and be able to change the sender e-mail from my apache application ?

Like it's transparently sending e-mail from my existing smtp account with my authentification but with someone else e-mail.

Yes, basically you can just invoke 'sendmail b...@domain.etc' and type
message with all the headers you need - 'to:', 'from:', 'subject:' etc
to stdin.
Of course, every language has some wrappers to simplify that process.
I installed and configured postfix. It sends mail localy and on external mailbox. !! I'm glad !!

dig -x myip

answer back my domain name. I don't know if I am being behinde a firewall. It's a dedicated server on a domain own by my host service.
I don't get e-mail when replyed from external mailbox.

security-wise: Is there any stuff to do, not by default, to secure my smtp server to not be used from outside ?
For MTA: it involves installing a DNS server ?

Not really.
Your IP belongs to an ISP, and it's DNS server has the authority for
that address. So, if anyone (e.g. mail server) is asking any (other) DNS
server "who's that guy?", that DNS will go to your provider's DNS and
ask "so, it's one of yours, who is it?" and it'll be in position to
either return some valid name (that's rarely free), delegate the task
to some other DNS (mostly the case with IP ranges, bought by some
organizations) or just shrug, which is often the case with common users.

So the answer is likely - "it won't matter, you won't get a name", but
that's entirely up to your ISP.

That said, there are always possibilities to use the services of (or set
up) some relay server or buy dedicated IP and tunnel traffic through
it, but that's quite beyond the scope of question, I believe.
Tunneling traffic, I'll keep that for other spare time in the year :)