I'm confused on how to run wireshark on Gentoo.  The ebuild says:

 * With version 0.99.7, all function calls that require elevated privileges
 * have been moved out of the GUI to dumpcap. WIRESHARK CONTAINS OVER ONE
 * POINT FIVE MILLION LINES OF SOURCE CODE. DO NOT RUN THEM AS ROOT.
 *
 * NOTE: To run wireshark as normal user you have to add yourself into
 * wireshark group. This security measure ensures that only trusted
 * users allowed to sniff your traffic.

I added my user to the wireshark group, but there are no interfaces
listed in the program.  I read:

http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges

"Running Wireshark (or any other network capture/analyzer, for that
matter) on Linux needs root privileges. Therefore, you have to have
root privileges when starting Wireshark, else you can't capture data."

I'm not sure how to proceed.

- Grant