>> > Does anyone know how to put my USB wireless network adapter into
>> > promiscuous mode so I can see everything that's happening wirelessley
>> > on my network in wireshark?
>>
>> ifconfig eth1 promisc
>>
>> But at least tcpdump puts the interface into promiscous mode
>> automatically, so there is a chance that wireshark does the same.
>>

> Another way is to use airmon-ng from the aircrack-ng package:
>
> airmon-ng start wlan0

I can't get that to work.  I get:

# airmon-ng start wlan0
Interface       Chipset         Driver
wlan3                   ath5k_pci - [phy0]
wlan0           Ralink 2573 USB rt73usb - [phy1]/usr/sbin/airmon-ng: line 338:
/sys/class/ieee80211/phy1/add_iface: No such file or directory
mon0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
(monitor mode enabled on mon0)

It looks like I'm supposed to have /sys/class/ieee80211/phy1/add_iface
which isn't there.  I've tried with net.wlan0 started and stopped.

- Grant