I have KDE 3.5 and 4.1 installed and am trying to upgrade to 4.2.  I'm getting
the following:

<=kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4 ("<=kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4" is blocking
kde-base/kdelibs-4.2.0)

Is there an issue with 3.5 and 4.2 being installed together?  Is the above
block a known issue that's being worked out as 4.2 is integrated into the
stable tree?  (I was unable to find a bug filed on it or any other hits on
Google.)

As a second question, can anyone point me to an informative reference on
~arch?  It's impossible to search for the term on Google - the tilde gets
ignored and the number of false positives are overwhelming.  Although I've
been using Gentoo for awhile, I don't really understand the difference
between something being in ~arch and something being blocked.  I'd like to
make myself a little smarter.