Daniel D Jones wrote:
I have KDE 3.5 and 4.1 installed and am trying to upgrade to 4.2. I'm getting the following:

<=kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4 ("<=kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4" is blocking kde-base/kdelibs-4.2.0)

Is there an issue with 3.5 and 4.2 being installed together? Is the above block a known issue that's being worked out as 4.2 is integrated into the stable tree? (I was unable to find a bug filed on it or any other hits on Google.)

I recommend that you edit your world file by hand (/var/lib/portage/world) and remove everything from in there that you wish to unmerge. Then run "emerge -p --depclean" and take a good look at the output. Put in the world file every package listed that should NOT be removed. When everything looks fine, do the final "emerge -a --depclean".

Take care though after that not clutter your world file again. That mainly means that if you emerge some dependency of a package manually (for whatever reason) do so with the -1 or --oneshot option of emerge.

Note that you can put slotted packages in the world file. For example if all you have in there is "kde-base/kdelibs" and you remove it, depclean will remove both KDE3 and well as KDE4 libs. Simply put "kde-base/kdelibs:3.5" in the world file. depclean will not remove the 3.5.x versions that way. Personally, I keep the 3.5 slots and an unslotted version:

  kde-base/kdelibs
  kde-base/kdelibs:3.5

This will provide easy updates to future 4.x versions but will not mess with 3.5.

I find that having a clean world file makes package management in Gentoo a lot easier :)