Stroller wrote:
For more funroll-loopiness I contemplate using ext4 for the new system I'm about to install.

Anyone know of any LiveCDs that would support this?

Yep, SystemRescueCD supports it:

  http://www.sysresccd.org

It's even Gentoo-based, what a deal! ;)

I _think_ it should be just a case of untarring the stage 3, chrooting in, updating everything to latest & reboot. As long as I use 2.6.28 when I install I don't think there should be anything that is incompatible with ext4??

Just do whatever you would do with ext3. Nothing fancy required. Of course fstab needs ext4, not ext3.

Or would I be better off using ext3 and converting it to ext4 in a month or two? Are there any downsides to converting a fs from ext3 to ext4 in this way?

The downsides are that you'll end up with missing ext4 features that will only apply to newly created files after the conversion. I recommend to just be clean about it and use ext4 from the start.