Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I want to save the backup on a USB drive on /media/sda1.  Therefore I ran
> > > star as root like this:
> > >
> > > # cd /dev/sda1
> > > # star -xattr -H=exustar -c -f hda5_root1.star /media/hda5 -C /media/sda1
> >
> > This is a useless command line as -C /media/sda1 is executed after
> > archiving /media/hda5.
>
> Does this mean that I should have '-C /media/sda1' before '/media/hda5' ?

Using absolute paths (as you did) is a really bad idea  and '-C /media/sda1'
before '/media/hda5' will not help you....

-C performs a chdir before processing the next arg

Useful is something like '-C /media/sda1'  "."

If you like to do backups, you should tell star to archive more meta data
by using -dump instead of H=exustar.

-dump includes H=exustar but is more.

There are several examples in the man page and I still don't know what caused
your real problems.

A frequent problem on Linux is that not all files to support a specific feature
are present or that you first need to activate them. Did you use extended
attributes with other programs before?

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin