On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:16:36 -0600
Chris Lieb <chris.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) I use sync-eix to update portage and my overlays (via layman).  I
> want the client to still be able to run sync-eix, but have it only run
> `emerge --metadata` (no `emerge --sync` or `layman --sync ALL`).  What
> do I need to change in the eix-sync.conf?  (Man, that's a long man page :) )

You can use cluster-aware filesystems like GFS2 / OCFS2 to do anything
you like on any end, without having to worry about any inconsistency on
the other end.
That way you can do 'emerge --sync' or edit some overlay ebuild on any
end, seeing all the changes real-time on the other.

> 2) I use the buildpkg feature on both the server and the client since
> the client can usually use the packages for its own installations
> (getbinpkg).  However, sometimes I require different use flags for the
> client, but I still want to keep the package locally so I can restore it
> later if I need to.  I have the NFS share mounted ro to keep the client
> from overwriting what is on the server, so I am guessing that portage
> will throw some kind of error when it tries to save the package to disk.

Prehaps you should just 'mount /some/dev /usr/portage/packages' on each
machine, after you've mounted shared /usr/portage FS, so you'll have
unique packages on each server.
And if you'll need to copy some new packages from one machine to the
other without overwriting any of locally-compiled ones - you can just
use rsync, via cron, if it's kinda constant need.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net