Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> If any of you guys has a working sendmail configuration with Comcast I would
> be grateful if you could share off list.  Although I have followed the
> instructions detailed here (except for the masquerade options) I cannot get
> it to work:
>
> http://www.linuxha.com/other/sendmail/
>
> After a long day trying to get it to run I have now grown blind to it.  The
> error I get is:

I'm including this on the list since I think there will be others who
may find it useful.
Mine is setup like this:
(I'm going to assume you know to use m4 to compile sendmail.cf)

1) In sendmail.mc

( Some of this may not be necessary... I've placed asterisks around
 those I think are critical )

(I masquerade as the host that supplies my email pop service
(newsguy), I don't use comcast email much. you may be able to ignore
masquerading)

divert(-1)
divert(0) dnl
include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc,v 1.17 2008/05/19 14:28:16 root Exp $')dnl
OSTYPE(linux)dnl
define(`confDONT_EXPAND_CNAMES'.`True')dnl

***
FEATURE(`authinfo') dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.comcast.net')dnl
***

dnl # [HP 05/16/08 17:22 define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587') ]dnl
dnl Per H Message-ID: <g0kmsb$2dd...@hedeland.org> comp.mail.sendmail dnl
define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`newsguy.com')dnl
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`local.lan')dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(relay_hosts_only) dnl relay exact hosts in /etc/mail/relay-hosts dnl
FEATURE(`always_add_domain') dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN(`local.lan')dnl
define(`confTRUSTED_USERS',`reader defang apache bacula mysql')dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

2) using authinfo is somewhat explained in the README at
   /usr/share/sendmail-cf/

Mine looks like this [with some things disguised with MYUSER, MYPASSWD]
(Should be all on one line... in case mail formatting breaks the line)

cat /etc/mail/authinfo
# [HP 02/04/06 23:14  NOTE make sure to makemap hash authinfo < authinfo]
AuthInfo:smtp.comcast.net  "U:MYUSER" "I:myu...@comcast.net" "P:MYPASSWD" "M:
LOGIN PLAIN"
# end authinfo

Heed the comment about makemap or authinfo won't work.

I'm not sure this is necessary anymore but you should probably restart
sendmail after using makemap.. and definitely restart anytime you
recompile sendmail.cf

With those asterisked things in place my mail works fine.

I can relay mail from any of my home machines thru my gentoo host with
the sendmail.mc shown as well.  So the other machines are pointed as
my gentoo box as smart host.