On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 19:36 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Iain Buchanan <iai...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > recently my SD card just went bonkers.  Unfortunately I lost a lot of
> > photos on it (backups are useless until the data actually gets to the
> > backup...) but fortunately I was able to use a program to recover about
> > 170 photos.
> >
> > Anyway, I don't know if it was just static, shock, dead card, or phase
> > of the moon, so I would like to see if the card is good before I
> > continue to use it.
>
> With any kind of memory or storage device, I would stop using after
> the first sign of a problem. My personal experience says it only gets
> worse. :)
>
> Lexar has a free program for recovering corrupted/deleted files from
> their cards, did you use that? Or something linux-based like photorec?
> Anyway, you wrote over it so it's too late now. :)

Now you tell me there are free versions?!  I ended up finding a photo
recovery tool which recovered the photos for me, but it wasn't "free".
Needless to say I didn't pay for it, and I deleted it straight away.

I'll check out photorec next time.  I'm having a hard time finding info
about it though (see previous email about draconian internet access).

Is there a general linux version of FAT recovery tools available
somewhere?  I couldn't find one.

[sinp]

> Some (all?) memory cards do wear-leveling/load balancing

This is what I was afraid of.

thanks,

Beware the new TTY code!