> >> If you want to comment a series of lines  m-n , it's quicker to do :
> >>
> >>  :m,ns/^/#/
> >
> > I saw similar comments in my Google searches, but I am flummoxed how one
> > could find it so.
> >
> > Is it only on my keyboard that forward-slash is a "lower-case" character
> > that is accessed *without* the shift key deployed?
> >
> > How do you know m & n?
>
> Column and line numbers are shown on the lower right part of the screen.
>
> You can also enable line numbering, either in command mode using "set nu",
or in ~/.vimrc (which I prefer since I always like line numbers, except if
I'm copy and pasting...then it's annoying).  There is also a macro I made
(stole from somewhere and modified) to enter the date on \d entered in both
command mode and entry mode, which I find handy for journals or timestamp
comments in code.  You can, of course, rearrange and edit how the time
appears if you dislike my style.

"Timestamp script for command (normal) mode
nmap \d :execute "normal i" . strftime("%d %b %Y %H:%M:%S ")<CR>
"Timestamp script for insert mode
imap \d <C-R>=strftime("%d %b %Y %H:%M:%S ")<CR>

Is there any way to access the vim buffers from other than vi?  Using
Konsole, if I want to copy something from vim I have to highlight with the
mouse and right click, which is annoying.  I really just want a better way
to copy from Konsole that doesn't involve right click.  At least
shift+insert works for pasting from elsewhere...

~daid