2009/3/6 Dragos Petre <drpet...@gmail.com>:
> Hi, everybody!
>
> I have recently upgraded to x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.2 and since then I've
> started having problems with my touchpad although IMO I have followed the
> correct steps to migrate to hal-based hotplugging. My computer is a Samsung
> NC10 netbook with a Synaptics Touchpad.
>
> I have basic mouse functionality, i.e. cursor move and button click, but no
> tapping, edge scrolling etc although according to hal-device the correct
> options are loaded - please see below
>
> I cannot use synclient as I get a
> Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?
> error.
>
> One give-away of what the issue may be is that Xorg.0.log shows the
> synaptics device to be "configured as mouse". Does that make any sense?
>
> I'm using sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.27-r9, sys-apps/hal-0.5.11-r8 and
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-0.15.2-r2 although I have tried
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.0.0 to no avail.
>
> You can find below the output/content of
> hal-device
> xorg.conf
> Xorg.0.log
> emerge --info

And what about your x11-input.fdi? I guess you don't have one! Take a
look here [1] for a documented example.
If you want xorg-server and hal working you need:

xorg-server built with hal use flag and evdev as input-device.
comment out the input sections in xorg.conf.
a fdi file placed at /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-x11-input.fdi (basically
the configuration done in xorg.conf prior is now done in this file)

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/tree/config/x11-input.fdi

--
Regards,
Daniel