Hi,

I am trying to help my father install gentoo on a new computer (I am
across the ocean). We have a problem with the internet connection. He
has an adsl account. He runs pppoe-start, and it says that he is
connected. ifconfig shows that ppp0 is up, and gives an ip address.
However, I can't ping that address (I get 100% packet loss). He also
can't ping any address.

We called the ISP, and from their side it seems that he is connected,
and everything is fine. I don't know where else to look. The log
messages showed in the beginning messages of the form

LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

but they seem to no longer appear. As I said, I don't even know where to
start looking for the problem. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Moshe