Hi,

I'm using Clonezilla for my system backups, it's very easy to use and
restoring the backups actually works (that's normally the tricky part,
not copying everything to another medium) :-)
If it's just for data, I'm making a daily backup on a flash disk using
rsync and from time to time a backup on an external hdd drive using
again rsync. If you tar it up, you can't store the differences only
anymore, so you have to decide first what you want.

Oh and if you're using a ram-dvd you can access the dvd as if it were
a flash medium and just rsync/tar/... to it :-)

Geralt.