On 18/03/09 Alan McKinnon said:

> Well, this is gentoo and we don't need no stinking Changelogs on gentoo :-)

:)

> Seriously, you are running a stable arch. All known issues should be resolved
> by the time glibc hits stable. You can always askhere, or look at b.g.o for
> any outstanding issues

Bulgarian Gay Organization? Sorry, googling for b.g.o is dangerous. :)

> No, it goes nowhere near that directory. It uses /usr/include/linux
>
> From your responses it seems like you haven't figured out yet how the whole
> compile/link/header thing works, so here's the (quickish) version:

Actually I do, but I don't go anywhere near the kernel so I wasn't sure of the
relationship between glibc and the kernel interfaces. I'm just wondering if
/usr/include/linux is ever incompatible with my kernel, and what to do about it
if
it is.

> glibc in turn also needs headers for things it uses, and amongst others this
> is the kernel headers in /usr/include/linux/. This doesn't have to be the
> same
> headers for the kernel you are running, it just has to be compatible headers.
> To prove this, just reboot and choose a different kernel. Everything works,
> but glibc could not possibly have been built against both kernel's sources.

I see that, for example,

msoul...@anton:~$ equery belongs /usr/include/linux/quota.h
[ Searching for file(s) /usr/include/linux/quota.h in *... ]
sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.23-r3 (/usr/include/linux/quota.h)

ul...@anton:~$ uname -a
Linux anton 2.6.25-gentoo-r8 #9 Sun Nov 23 19:14:08 EST 2008 i686 AMD
Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

So slightly off but compatible. At some point a newer glibc would simply fail
to build if it's incompatible then, I assume?

Looking on a CentOS box I see that they package that directory in a package
called glibc-kernheaders. Makes sense...

Thanks,
Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoul...@digitaltorque.ca>