On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Joseph <syscon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/19/09 10:51, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, I tried it already:
>>>
>>> passwd -u nx
>>> passwd: unlocking the user would result in a passwordless account.
>>> You should set password with usermod -p to unlock this user account.
>>> Password changed.
>>>
>>> What do you do next?
>>>
>>> When I try to run again:
>>> nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean --purge
>>>
>>> I get:
>>> Setting up /var/log/nxserver.log ...done
>>> Setting up special user "nx" ...passwd: unlocking the user would result
>>> in a
>>> passwordless account.
>>> You should set a password with usermod -p to unlock this user account.
>>> Password changed.
>>> done.
>>> ----> Testing your nxserver connection ...
>>> Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
>>> Fatal error: Could not connect to NX Server.
>>>
>>> Please check your ssh setup:
>>>
>>> The following are _examples_ of what you might need to check.
>>>
>>>       - Make sure "nx" is one of the AllowUsers in sshd_config.
>>>   (or that the line is outcommented/not there)
>>>       - Make sure "nx" is one of the AllowGroups in sshd_config.
>>>   (or that the line is outcommented/not there)
>>>       - Make sure your sshd allows public key authentication.
>>>       - Make sure your sshd is really running on port 22.
>>>       - Make sure your sshd_config AuthorizedKeysFile in sshd_config is
>>> set
>>> to authorized_keys2.
>>>   (this should be a filename not a pathname+filename)
>>>  - Make sure you allow ssh on localhost, this could come from some
>>>   restriction of:
>>>     -the tcp wrapper. Then add in /etc/hosts.allow: ALL:localhost
>>>     -the iptables. add to it:
>>>        $ iptables -A INPUT  -i lo -j ACCEPT
>>>        $ iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
>>>

>>> So at this point I'm back to square one in log/messages I get:
>>> User nx not allowed because account is locked
>>
>> Oh, try  to give user nx a password on your system. It uses ssh keys
>> to login, so it doesn't even matter what the password is. Just don't
>> make it something easily guessed/brute-force like "nx" or "1234" or
>> else you might have some unwanted guests in your system :)
>
> I did give it a password usermod -p something nx
>
> it accepted the password, now do I run the setup again:
> nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean --purge
>
> If I try to login from another machine do I login as user "nx"?
> When I try to login from another machine on my network I get:
> Your guest account has expired...

The way NX works is it uses the nx user as an intermediate. You need
to login as a normal user, and you need to explicitly give that user
permission to use NX by doing nxserver --useradd yourname (which will
generate NX ssh keys and put them in that user's directory).

If you use interactive/PAM authentication on your system, NX can use
your user's normal system password; if you use key-based
authentication for SSH the only way to make NX work is to use its
internal password database and assing an NX-specific password to that
user. In nxclient, copy the normal SSH key, and then in the nxclient
login box put the NX username and password.