Ok now, I'm getting fed up with all of the breakage that I've seen in Gentoo
in the last few months.

I'm trying to upgrade MythTV.  Emerge told me to upgrade my profile, which I
did.

Now I'm doing an emerge -u world.

But before I could do that, I had to upgrade portage, with made sense.

When I go to emerge -u portage, I'm told:

sys-apps/mktemp (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-7.1)

So I do:
emerge -C mktemp

Now I've gotten a whole page of error messages.  The most basic of error
messages indicates that the system can't load libselinux.so.1.

I'm not using SElinux!!!!  Nor do I want to.

All I want to do is upgrade a machine that I built a few months ago.  In fact,
all I want to do is upgrade a SINGLE PACKAGE on that machine!!!

Has Gentoo become such a moving target that it's no longer suitable for
normal, every day, usage?

I've got another machine that needs to be upgraded, but hasn't been upgraded
in some time.  So it's profile is obsolete and many of the core packages have
been moved around so much that there is no upgrade path from where it is now,
to where Gentoo is.

Is it time to start looking for a new distribution?  It seems that as long as
I keep rebuilding machines from a current live CD, all is well.  But if I try
to upgrade anything else, I end up having to reformat.  I've been using Gentoo
long enough to have actually met Daniel Robbins in person, but I'm considering
moving to a different distribution.

Remember, all I want to do is upgrade MythTV.

Mike.