On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:01 PM, SOrCErEr <omen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/3/24 Albert Hopkins <mar...@letterboxes.org>
>>
>> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 10:38 +0900, SOrCErEr wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > My gentoo system has a problem.
>> > It has not mounted sysfs while boot process.
>> > I have to do mount sysfs by my hand now.
>> >
>> > Of course, udev rc scripts has line of "need sysfs". And udev rc
>> > script was added in sysinit service.
>> > So I would like to know who mounts sysfs when Gentoo in boot process
>> > in general.
>>
>> Your friends at udev.
>>
>> The "need sysfs" means that udev needs the sysfs service to start.  Of
>> course it's wrapped around a "if [ -f /etc/init.d/sysfs ]; then"... so
>> is that file missing?
>>

> No, that isn't. That file exists.
> So I tested like below.
>
> /etc/init.d/udev stop
> /etc/init.d/sysfs stop
> /etc/init.d/udev start
> /etc/init.d/sysfs status
>
> Result is
> "* status: stopped"
>
> Actually, sysfs rc strip has no "stop" function. So sysfs is not unmounted.
> But in my opinion, status of sysfs must be "started" after udev started.

> I fix this problem while I write this mail.
>
> I renamed sysfs rc strip filename and restarted udev to check whether it
> fails or not.
> And I confirmed it failed.
> Then restored sysfs rc strip filename and started udev.
>
> Surprisingly sysfs started automatically before start udev. It fixed.
>
> Still I don't know why it happened. It's very confuse
>
> Anyway, thank you for your help:)
> Your comments are helping me to do some more things:)

I think /etc/init.d/sysfs just sets up the mounts and then exits, so
there is no need for a "stop" since it is never in a "running" state
(well, maybe for a split second). there is no sysfs daemon and running
status of /etc/init.d/sysfs does not indicate whether or not sysfs is
mounted. I think you should check /proc/mounts for that. But I could
be wrong. :)