On Wednesday 25 March 2009 17:16:51 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 March 2009 16:54:21 Momesso Andrea wrote:
> >> Unfortunatly my BlackBerry doesn't allow bottom posting. I hope you guys
> >> forgive me for the few times I answer on this list using my mobile
> >> device.
> >
> > What? There's no down arrow on a BlackBerry?
> >
> > I don't have one of those devices, and fully intend to never have one, so
> > if there's a stupid implementation of the reply function, I'd never know
> > it. But just asking, that's all.
>
> There are many devices and webmail services that do quoting in the
> "Microsoft Outlook" style -- putting a one-line divider between the
> reply and the original message. No indentation or nesting of replies.
> This makes it harder to reply to specific parts of e-mails, but does
> show you the entire conversation unaltered (when everyone uses
> Outlook, anyway)

haha, fat chance of that on a Gentoo list :-)

> -- and some companies actually /require/ that style
> of quoting, believe it or not.

<sigh> I know. I work for one. email style is driven by the sales people.

But us techies ignore the rules and do it our way anyway - we admin the mail
relays

> Replying to specific parts of an e-mail in Outlook (etc) is usually a
> joke. People resort to strange combinations of colorizing, changing
> fonts, emboldening, italicizing, etc. All of it is hideous and was
> solved 30 years ago by simple indentation and nesting of quotes...
> Thanks a lot, Microsoft.
>
> I use gmail for this and other mailing lists; it collapses quoted text
> and shows e-mails in a conversational view. It really does a good job
> of it and the top-posting and quoting-of-entire-emails really becomes
> a non-issue. It's the next best thing to having everyone quote
> properly.

Yes, gmail is quite good at it in a browser. It's ben ages since I did that
though - I pop my mail and just use the web end to scan the spam folder once a
month

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com