Paul, you will be relieved to know that I braved up and installed the
1205sa card on a windows machine... updated driver which may have been
a waste of time and flashed both Base BIOS and SATA_raid BIOS.

Apparently this card has a BIOS that is in 2 parts or maybe each on it
own chip. Their are 2 on the card.

I didn't hold out much hope but it worked just fine with that done.

No need for jumpers ... it just works.

Some might think its a waste to go with the 1.5GB of `sata I' but the
card is PCI anyway.  I'm not sure how much of a bottleneck that is but
I suspect that would get in the way before 1.5gb does.

This server is on a home lan so not going to get an industrial
workout anyway.

I'm a happy camper even though I jumped the gun and ordered a Sil3114
off ebay, I'm pretty sure I'll use it sooner or later.

You have been very patient and helpful ... I really do appreciate
that.  Thanks.