On Monday 30 March 2009 13:19:26 Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > His real problem isn't baselayout2 and openrc, it's named.
> >
> > named is notorious for crappy stupid behaviour when being stopped and
> > confusing the init scripts. It happens to me so often that now I tossed
> > out the init script and do it manually.
> >
> > One day when my country's currency is worth something I can afford ans
> > then I can get rid of named and it's start-up crap forever. It's still
> > the only service I ever have to use "zap" on
>
> I don't even know what named is but the zap option usually works for a
> lost service.  Sort of like a reset button.  I just wonder what would
> happen if it is really running when the zap option is used.  Start a new
> process I guess.  I guess ps would be a good friend then.

named is the BIND name server from the same guys as dhcpcd (and also vixie-
cron). It's a *reference* *implementation* of how a name server should work
(it exactly 100% behaves just like the RFCs say), but as a name server in
*production* it just sucks. It's extremely popular because it's free and just
because life evolved that way but in real life it's the world's worst PITA to
administer.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com