Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> writes:

> Since you can ssh into the system, could you remove hald from the
> default runlevel and reboot?  I'm not sure about the keyboard and mouse
> after that tho.  At least maybe you can get to a console.

As reported in OP, I sshed in and stopped the start of hald.. that
allowed boot to continue to login prompt but no mouse and keyboard.

So a login shell won't be useful for now.

> Did you run etc-update, or whatever config update tool you prefer, after
> the updates?  You may also want to emerge the old version of hal and try
> that.  Since you can get in, that may help.  Of course, if it was me,
> I'd mask that version and skip that one in the future.  O_O  Maybe the
> next version will work better.

No I didn't do the update... As reported in OP, I actually wasn't done
with the follup chores to an update, and shutdown from a remote due to
absentminded pea brainedness.

I'm doing that now via ssh.  Maybe things will improve...