On Monday 06 April 2009 19:53:51 Francesco Talamona wrote:
> Why in some circumstances emerge is perfectly able to spot user omission
> and fill-in it automatically, while with other options it just
> complains?
>
> The inability to add missing "=" and the inconsistence annoy me. IMHO
> emerge should be able to add the equal sign when it makes perfect sense
> as it already does sometimes.

That is incorrect. Portage does not know what you mean so cannot fill it in
correctly.

When you attempt an install with a version number but without a comparison
operator, portage does not known if you want a version greater than, less
than, or equal to the stated version so it does not even try to guess; it
insists that you tell it what you want. Imagine the bug reports if '=' was the
default and users mistyped a ">="

When unmerging a packet, there are only two sane options

- all versions installed if you didn't specify a version
- the exact version you stated, and only that one.

So portage's current behaviour is correct.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com