On Monday 06 April 2009 14:30:55 Justin wrote:
> Mick schrieb:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have an rpm binary which looks like this on a RH
> > machine: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/packageXXX.el5.i386.rpm
> >
> > How can I use this on a gentoo machine (I understand that it won't be
> > maintained by portage).
>
> Just emerge yum.

No, just don't. How do you expect yum to operate correctly without a gully
populated rpm database? It will fail (as already said by another poster).

Fact is, a portage system is in no state to deal with an rpm natively. It
doesn't know what to do with it, doesn't understand how or where to get the
pre/post install scripts and rpm does not know how to deal with portage file
collisions.

You are asking a user to run two package managers in parallel, both unaware of
each other. This is suicide.

Correct way: realize you are trying to do something no package manager is
built to do. So, you do it manually. Convert the rpm to a tarball, extract it
and do all install steps manually. It's a good idea to install the binaries to
/usr/local/ or /opt/ - the correct place to put binaries unknown to a package
manger (portage won't nuke them there)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com