Jacques Montier wrote:
> Dale a gentiment tapote:
>
>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>

>>> A problem I often have after a big update is emerge -p --depclean
>>> tells me it is going to remove my running kernel.
>>>
>>>  sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
>>>     selected: 2.6.26-r4
>>>    protected: none
>>>      omitted: 2.6.25-r8 2.6.27-r10
>>>
>>> dragonfly ~ # uname -a
>>> Linux dragonfly 2.6.26-gentoo-r4 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 9 11:08:39 PST
>>> 2008 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>>> dragonfly ~ #
>>>
>>> My general reaction is to remove packages by hand at this point but
>>> today I have 30-40 and would like to protect this kernel source. Is
>>> there a generaic way to *always* protect the kernel that is currently
>>> running?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark
>>>

>> Just emerge it with the exact version.  emerge
>> =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.26-r4 should work.  There is a option to
>> add it to world without actually "compiling" it again but I can't recall
>> what it is.
>>
>> Feel free to correct any typo's.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

> Is it emerge --noreplace <atom>  ?
>
> --
> Jacques

I think that is it.  I don't think I have ever used it but that sounds
right at least.  I did a quick read of that section of the man page.

You can also add it to the world file.  Mine looks like this:

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.25-r9
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.27-r7
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.28-r2

I don't know if it matters but I notice my world file is in alphabetical
order.  Portage do that now?  That's pretty neat.

Dale

:-)  :-)